Sunday 4 August 2013

It's all About Taste ~P.2 Player Elimination.~

From my Favorite genre of games to my least favorite genre.
Player elimination.
This is as it sounds games in which players work towards the elimination of other players to secure their own personal win.
I would possibly be understating the fact if I said, this is a some what popular category of games.  Although it could be said the genre was in fact NOT popular because of the chance of someone floating around with nothing to do while the others continue on playing.   I know people who would choose this style of game over all others, because competition is the point of a game. Needless to say I find it difficult to find games I enjoy playing with people who feel this way and try to avoid this kind of game as much as I can.  For that reason I will be unable to do a top 3.
I've just watched a Dice tower Top 10 on this subject matter though.
So what can i say about a genre i take every chance I can to play something else?
To be honest not a lot but I'll say what i can.

The nature of these games is adversarial, from those I've seen played elimination is the primary goal and it isn't a byproduct of some other action in the game, no, it's the focus of your actions.  I don't like competition in these terms, people will so readily turn on one another as it is, have fun being mean to each other in the real world, i'm not entirely sure whether the lesson of these games is 'toughen up and laugh it off' (not something that should be taught at all) or 'learn to accept it' (never!) or 'here's how to be better at it than others' (Nonononono).  I would be told by some i think too much into such things but i'm just not a fan of making a game out of something that in a different environment, could be considered bullying.
To take liken it to other popular mediums of entertainment, i don't watch reality TV shows.  Anything where someone is voted off, or ganged up on is not entertaining to me it's bad behavior and shouldn't be rewards with a million dollars or whatever the going prize for those things are these days.
This isn't going to be a rant about those shows which i could do for hours, but i don't really see player elimination as anything more than bullying and victimization under the guise of 'fun'.

Unfortunately it is however the only experience some people have with games and therefore now as an adult trying to get epople to play if that's all they have to think back on, no wonder they say they don't like board games much.  Perhaps this would be true even if they tried some of the other stuff on the market these days, perhaps not, but it's hard to get some people to even try because this is all they know (This or the 'roll and move' game *shudder*)

Of this Genre in recent times I've played
King of Tokyo

I won't make a list of ones i want to play that'd just be lying.
Having said that...most of the time i'm willing to try anything, and something may one day change my opinion.

N.B. Shadows Over Camelot is named in Dice tower video as an elimination, I will note that in another though they state that this game has a 'drop in drop out' feature, so really if you die you could just pick up a new character and keep playing.

2 comments:

  1. I felt this way about GOT the last time I played. ... wasn't fun at all for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GoT is severely hampered by the fact that it is so boring. Other adversarial games succeed where GoT doesn't, for example the excellent Agricola.

    ReplyDelete